Answer: No matter how hard you try, the simulator will not fly.
That was one of my questions from my second day of training. I know it sounds like a silly question but the point was to illustrate, while the simulator was meant to simulate flying as accurately as possible, it is, in fact, not actually flying. And boy did I learn that the hard way.
To start, the simulator is a great way to introduce some of the mechanics of multi-engine flying. It has realistic controls and a realistic cockpit. Unfortunately, the only place to view anything is on a small monitor out the front of the left seat. It turns out that it's a lot harder to use your peripheral vision when it's completely white. I am looking forward to using it as an instrument trainer.
So, day 1. I show up and take a test. It was a test over some of the VFR rules that I learned while in Montana. I missed a few questions but nothing to be concerned about. They even asked a question about what a military rotating beacon looks like. Even though I spent the last 5 years on a base with an active flying mission, I missed the question. The first day was mostly just administrative stuff and ended with me being sent home to study. Study by the beach? Yes please!
Day 2: This was a rough day. For some reason, I had a really hard time with the simulator. I would look down at a checklist, look up and see that I had entered a 60 degree bank. WTF! I struggled with the checklists because I was using them for the first time. I didn't have them memorized or even conceptually understood. So, my instructor turns off one of my engines and I do my best to fuddle with the checklist. I finally get it figured out and he goes, "ok, now restart it." What a disaster. I couldn't find the checklist and when I did, I was almost upside-down. After two hours of almost killing myself, the pain ended. He said I did a good job for it being my first day and I couldn't help but think he was being nice. I drove home with my tail between my legs to study some more.
And study I did. I spent the entire night committing almost every single checklist step to memory. If I didn't have it by memory, all I would have to do was look at the step and know what had to be done. I planned on looking at those checklists as little as possible. Study Study Study. Sleep...
Day 3: I showed up early and spent about an hour sitting in the turned off trainer going through the motions. I would simulate engine failures, I would run the various checklists, etc. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on what I was supposed to do and so I ran off to grab a snack before my next 2-hour block of almost dying.
So, I hope in the left seat and begin running through some of the pre-flight checklists. I start the engines and am ready to go. We do some pattern work and I have a much better grasp of the simulator...except on the first take-off where I nearly stalled the plane and sent it crashing down to earth. After my first simulated landing, everything was much better! We did some practice engine emergencies, slow flight, power-on/-off stalls and steep turns. I absolutely rocked it. He said that if I were taking the check ride I would have passed. Whew. I did so well, in fact, that he put me into simulated instrument conditions to see how I would react. He even had me do some CFII maneuvers which I passed with flying colors. So, all-in-all, today was a MUCH better day!
Tomorrow is a big day. I get to finally get off the ground. I will be flying the Piper Seminole. This is what it looks like
Wish me luck!!

You go boy...I'm very excited for you. Keep the updates, such as this one, coming. I enjoyed reading it.
ReplyDelete