Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Making Preparations

Now that I've settled down from all the excitement of finally deciding to do this, I'm going to have to start preparing to go.  You might be thinking, well that should be easy.  Nay, I say to you.  This is going to be much more of a hassle than originally thought.

First order of business: Get required supplies for ground school classes.  When I was looking over the list of things I needed, I just happened to skip over the "Mandatory Book List."  When I scheduled my class, the kind gentleman on the other line asked if I wanted to purchase the books.  I had purchased some instrument training books back in Montana and, for some reason, thought this would suffice (even though I'm getting instrument, Multi-engine, commercial, and instructor ratings).  A few days later I looked at the list and realized that if I bought them a la carte it was going to cost me $100 more than the quoted price.  So, back to ATP.  "Yeah, uh, remember how I said I didn't want you to order the books for me?"  Problem one solved.

I also had to order a view restriction device more commonly referred as "a hood."  Someone a long time ago realized that when you are learning to fly using your instruments during "visual meteorological conditions" (i.e. sunny day) your peripheral vision allows you to still pick out a horizon.  So?  Well, if your brain can sense a horizon, it isn't truly using only the instruments.  When you are flying through clouds, your brain and inner ears play tricks on you.  There have been reports of people "flying by the seat of their pants" (i.e. feeling how the plane is flying instead when their senses are dead wrong....pun intended) in instrument conditions and trusted what they felt rather than what they saw on the instruments.  The instruments, when read as a whole, will very rarely lead you astray.  But I digress...So, when you are training to get your instrument rating, you have to wear a hood to completely block out the winds.  Here is the hood I bought: Super Hood.  This conglomeration of a plastic visor with a piece of bent plastic cost me $26 plus shipping.  Nothing like a 260% mark-up.

So, now that all my books and supplies have been purchased, I've run into a few other problems.  Starting Thursday, I don't have any medical insurance.  Something tells me that this might be important when, for the next 3 months, I'm going to be floating over the ground at 200 mph using little more than magic.  Eventually, my floating will come to an end and I'll have to control crash into the ground under various weather conditions.  I should probably get on this medical insurance thing.

I've also decided that, instead of keeping all my junk in a storage facility until TBD, I'm going to move it for the 4th time since May.  This time it is going into long term storage in my parents basement.  It'll be easier that way should I really need something.  After all, the only stuff that I've had since May can fit into 3 suitcases, a  garment bag, and my standard issue USAFA backpack.  I was hoping to avoid moving things up and down stairs but this is going to save me at least $80 a month.

By the way, this school isn't joking around.  They required that, while in class or flying, you wear solid colored collared shirts and khaki shorts or pants with the shirt tucked in.  So, I had to go out and buy solid colored polo shirts and some khaki shorts.  At least I can wear running shoes with the shorts.  I think dress shoes would look a little funny.

Ok, that's all for now!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment