Thursday, September 8, 2011

Moving again..

Well, the time has come.  On Saturday bright and early, I was travel down I-77S en route to St Pete Beach, Florida.  This will be my 3rd move in almost as many months.  I moved EVERYTHING out of my house in May to a storage facility.  In July, I moved everything into my gigantic truck and drove across the country to Ohio.  I then moved all that stuff in 90 degree heat into the storage facility in Ohio.  Now, I moved all my stuff out of the storage facility one piece at a time and into my parents basement.  I guess I don't see much sense in paying $100 a month to keep my stuff until I can manage to get back to Ohio to pick it all up.

I've been quite busy getting ready to go.  I had to memorize an entire booklet of information including V-speeds (different performance speeds like best rate of climb speed and stall speed), emergency checklists and multi-engine aerodynamics.  Turns out when an engine goes out, it really messes things up.  My favorite stat is "when you lose an engine, you lose 50% of your power and 80% of your ability to climb."  Turns out that's important.  If you have your gear down and flaps extended, your best rate of climb is -250 a minute.  For those not too good at math, that's not really a climb.

So, I have everything I need and am ready to go.  I got a box in the mail with about 35 books that I am going to be reading over the next 3 months.  I have a new knee board and a "view limiting device."  I have my first class medical with ZERO restrictions.  No glasses needed!  First the first time since 2003, I don't have to worry about my eyes!  Screw you Air Force!

As always, I will be using my phone GPS.  If anyone who may or may not be following this blog would like to follow me down to Florida, let me know!!  Nothing like a little Google Maps stalking!  Also, if remain following me, you'll be able to see where I'm flying and when.  There are good odds that I won't turn off my portable electronic devices prior to take off.  I'm a bad bad man.

So, my driving plan.  I am leaving early Saturday morning and going straight south down I-77.  I am going to drive as humanly possible on Saturday so that my day on Sunday is short.  I think Jacksonville is a pretty good target.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment