Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Will Be A Good Year!

To my friends,

I don't have much to tell from work so I'll tell a few stories from 2012. 

I kicked off the year at a beach party in St Pete Beach, Florida.  Sitting around a bonfire, I toasted with my fellow revelers, stared into the flame and listened to the local band rocking into the wee hours of the night.  It was a relaxing feeling; the sand between my toes on my first ever New Year's Eve spent "alone."  The Gulf was splashing around in the blackness past the dull glow of the two bonfires and it's blackness combined with a slight chill in the night air gave me chills.  Of course, my vow to never wear shoes or long pants after moving from Montana helped to contribute to the chilliness of the evening.  I would remain stubborn in this vow until December of this year when it was just too chilly (40 degrees) here to keep the commitment. 

As I rode my bike back to my aunt and uncle's house, I couldn't help but smile.  I had managed to get two phone numbers after the clock struck twelve.  "2012," I said aloud riding along the busy street, "will be a good year."  Of course, the image I had in my head for 2012 wasn't even close to the reality of what occurred.  It was, however, a good year.

*****
Winter 2010

Matt and I turned onto the small two-lane highway and headed east.  The leaves had already started to change yet it was only September.  The nights in Montana, once comfortable, had already turned brisk and were threatening to freeze our mini corn crop James had planted in the back garden. Matt and I chatted to pass the time as we drove to a far away house in a seemingly far away land.  When I think back on that time now, it all seems like the subject of a bad dream.  

As we drove, my phone rang (it could have been a text but the details aren't important).  My little sister Julie, a brand new high school teacher and softball coach, was hysterical.  "Chris, I just watched a tv show last night and it was all about how the Mayans had predicted the end of the earth.  Is it true?!"  I chuckled silently as I tried to explain to her how improbable something like an ancient civilization predicting the end of the earth was...especially considering they couldn't predict their own civilizations eventual demise.  As I talked, Matt smiled and laughed (and probably told a USAFA joke).  It was a welcome fresh of breath air to the mindless routine that Montana had become.  So, Julie and Matt, I think we have our answer.  The Mayans were wrong...or the Americans who interpreted the Mayan calendar were wrong...or they were right and we're all dead.  Either way, let's all have some Kool-aid and enjoy the new year!

*****

"What up Tequila Guac!" I chuckled as I watched the YouTube video with Dick.  He had come home on his mid-tour leave from Korea.  After hearing about my broken engagement a few weeks before, he asked for my address and told me that he and his wife Katy WERE coming to visit.  It wasn't a question, they were coming and they'd be there in two days.  They drove from Oregon to ensure that I wouldn't spend Easter weekend alone.  As a way to cheer me up, Dick played videos of Epic Mealtime, a YouTube web-series shot in a semi-serious satirical fashion.  You ever eat fast food?  Yeah?  Have you ever eaten fast food lasagna?  The creators of the show make ridiculous food and even more ridiculous jokes.  

In the year that had passed, Dick and his wife moved to Belgium.  When they discovered that our other close friend, Shane, had just gotten back from the desert and was headed for a year in Korea, we all decided to meet up in Daytona for a last gathering.  When plans were being made, Dick asked what we wanted to do.  Jokingly, I wrote, "Dude, we should do Tequila Taco Night!" referring to an episode of Epic Mealtime.  Of course, Dick is not one to joke with.  The first thing he asked when he arrived in Daytona was when I wanted to do Tequila Taco Night.  So, on one of the last nights in town, we went to the grocery store and got supplies: a pound of chicken, a pound of beef, avocados, 4-dozen packages of bacon (for bacon weaved "tortillas"), and Patron (for marinade and drinking)!  I thought it would be disgusting but to my surprise, it was delicious.  Of course, after some very good Belgian beer and shots of Patron, I doubt anything would've tasted bad.  Thanks guys for coming out!!  

If you've never seen it, you need to check out the video "Tequila Taco Night"

****

Of course, 2012 was also a year for weddings.  Almost exactly a year after I had left, I returned to Montana.  It was weird flying back to a place I liked so little.  Of course, on this occasion we had a blast.  James and Michaela were wed in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains.  Not only was it beautiful scenery but it was also quite the party.  All but one of the self-proclaimed "Super Friends" made it to the wedding.  Ross arrived in Bozeman about 30 minutes before I did.  As I got off the plane, I was excited to see my friend and partner in crime that I hadn't seen in over a year.  As I walked with my bag to the parking lot, Ross smiled as he hit the unlock button on the rental car.  In true Ross fashion, he had managed to upgrade our rental car to a brand new convertible yellow Mustang.  So, for the 4 or 5 days we were in town, Ross and I cruised through the streets of Bozeman with the top down.  Mike arrived later in the day and planned to crash on the floor of our hotel room.  Colin drove up from Colorado and also found a comfy nook on the floor. The night after the wedding, this arrangement made it looked like Jamestown at the Royal 7.  Also joining us at our Montana reunion was Kevin and Damon.  For the first time since 2010, we were all back together.  Sorry you were stuck in Afghaniraqistan Rich!

Also for the first time ever, I got to visit the city of Boston...and in the fall no less.  Damon and Connie were married in Cambridge in a completely different yet wonderful ceremony.  As Mike would put it, we rode around Boston on the subway like Good Will Hunting.  Of course, this analogy was expressed when he found out I was looking at hotels in South Boston because I felt the $400 per night in Cambridge was a little steep and riding the train was something he wasn't really looking forward to doing.  Mike and James had significant roles in the wedding so during the prep, I was left to explore Boston on my own...and a blast I had.  I never thought I would enjoy traveling to new cities by myself but I loved it!

So, to the newly weds James and Michaela as well as to Damon and Connie, I say BRAVO!

  *****

I really do wish I could continue to tell stories.  Of course, many of the good ones about flying have been told and I'm sure you're already tired of reading.  When I started the year, I had barely over 200 hours and before heading home for Christmas, I passed 1000 with almost half of it in a twin-engine airplane.  My knowledge has quadrupled since my CFI checkride (a scary thought) and my confidence with it.  As I watched the last few minutes tick by from my rooftop bar in Daytona Beach, I thought back on the last year.  While stressful and slightly disappointing, I realized that 2012 was the best I've ever had.  I reunited with the best friends a man could ever ask for and have started out on a journey to live my drive.  I'm not there yet nor am I where I thought I'd be but had I gotten an airline job, there was a very good chance I would've missed one or two of the weddings, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  Instead, I have some of the fondest memories I've ever created and a dozen more stories where those come from.  While having a dream job is important, creating memories with the people I love is a far more important 

So, to my friends Dick, Shane, Ross, James, Michaela, Mike, Colin, Damon, Kevin, Rich, Luke, and Joe, I say thanks for making 2012 a year I'll never forget.  May our paths cross again in 2013 in hopes of making it better than the last!!

Love, 

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment