September 11th 2011. As I left my house near Akron, Ohio and started my drive 18 hour away from my childhood home to Tampa, Florida, I took some time to reflect. Ten years ago to the day, I remember sitting horrified at Lake High School and listening to the radio as the towers fell. I really wasn't able to comprehend the magnitude of the situation but I did solidify my decision to go to a military Academy and become a fighter or bomber pilot. I already had my application packages in with the Naval and Air Force Academies but it was that day I realized that I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to fight the people who caused so much pain in our country and I wanted to do it in an airplane.
Ten years later I was in a car still in search of a my dream of flying. Instead of fighting terrorists or even helping to support those who did, I ended up spending my 5 years post-USAFA fighting a crippling bureaucracy. As I drove through the mountains and hills of West Virginia, I realized I had the unique opportunity to start anew. Just like 18 year old Chris did in 2002 when he showed up at the Air Force Academy with some delusions of what the next 9 years would be like, 28 year old Chris drove excitedly to Florida with another set of delusions.
This time it would be different. This time my hard work and dedication would benefit me. When I enrolled in my school, regional airlines were hiring at an unheard of 500 hours total time. If I finished on time, I anticipated being picked up as early as June but definitely no later than September to be a first officer flying in the right seat of a regional jet. Surely I could leverage my Air Force Academy education and experience to set me above the hundreds of other low-time pilots fighting for a similar spot.
Then the legislation requiring 1500 hours for all pilots in airline operations by August 2013 started having an impact on hiring. In January, minimums were raised to 800 hours in anticipation of the rule. At the same time, I was told I wouldn't be able to attend the standardization class for ATP until March. Waiting 3 months was unacceptable so I went out searching for instructor jobs across the country and got an offer from a small school in New Smyrna Beach. While I wasn't enthralled with instructing foreign students, the timing couldn't be better. So I set off to work and felt proud on the inside that perhaps for the first time since 2006, my hard work and educational background have benefited me.
June 2012: Over the previous 6 months, every Sunday I would sit down at a coffee shop and compile my hours and update my resume. I hadn't gotten much time in the twin-engine airplanes due to seniority but that was changing. In May, I managed to become one of the multi-instructors. This, however, didn't change my frustration with another set back. As I rushed to get my 500 hours, American Eagle, the last airline offering potential employment at 500 hours went bankrupt. The other lower quality and lower paying regional airlines had raised their minimums to 1000. By August I still hadn't had a single nibble from an employer.
At the end of September, I passed 800 total time and 300 multi-engine time. When my apartment complex called and reminded me to come sign my lease renewal, I was reminded of 28 year old Chris looking for apartments in January. "I figure an 8-month lease is fair and if I leave early I can just eat the last two months if I can't get out of it," I remember discussing with my mom. I didn't want to sign an 8-month lease because I was sure I would out of Daytona before my lease expired.
Sometime this summer, my friend who I flew with on my time building in the fall was hired by a charter jet company in Texas where he was instructing for ATP. Shortly after 500 hours, they interviewed him and hired him. A mix of emotions followed. I was extremely happy he had the opportunity but frustrated and jealous that he had moved on while I had yet to hear anything from anyone. Side-by-side our resumes look very similar with a few slight differences. Good for Bobby for getting the opportunity.
I can't help but be thankful for the company I work for. I have benefits, paid vacation, and am paid very well. I was lucky enough to have very motivated and smart students which has contributed to my 80% pass rate. Of the 10 students who have taken check rides in the past 8 months, 8 have passed on the first attempt. I have learned an unbelievable amount of information from the people I work with and have met some really good friends. I like to say that since I arrived at my flight school, I've easily tripled the amount I knew in January. I get to spend my days a few thousand feet above the beach and look down and see the world in a very unique way.
So why is this post tinged with frustration? It's October and I was 100% confident that I would be out of here by now. I continue to plug along chasing milestones but in the back of my mind, I can't help but think of the limit I placed on this venture. When I decided to chase my dream, I knew I had to have a plan B. What if the pilot shortage isn't as advertised and hiring slows to a halt? Before June 2011, my uncle recommended I not get into the industry because hiring was abysmal. Then I received the article and his vote of confidence but I continued forward with caution. I told myself I would give it until 2013 and reevaluate my decision. I would still be a "newly separated veteran" and could potentially use the hiring services to get a job and start my career anew. I could still flight instruct in my free time as a hobby but move on to a realistic career. With 2013 only a few months away, I have to decide if I'm going to push back my decision to summer of 2013 or start getting the wheels turning for a potential exit from aviation....a reality that would make me really sad.
**I just want to be sure everyone knows that this was not designed to be a pity post. As a blog about my life chasing a dream, I can't only share the happy and funny things. Sometimes I need to express some frustrating things about my reality. So please don't take this as complaining or not being thankful for what I have.
I hear you, Chris. A friend of mine just sold a script, and I'm happy for him, but also rather jealous. We need to remind one another to keep pushing. We're both doing what we want, if not quite at the benchmark of success we'd imagined for ourselves.
ReplyDelete